THE KIWANIS CLUB OF DUNEDIN, INC., has been serving Dunedin Since 1959. Its foundation, Dunedin Kiwanis Foundation, Inc., is a tax-exempt nonprofit organization under Section 501(c) of the United States IRC, so it is able to receive unlimited tax-deductible contributions, and is eligible for foundation grants.
THE KIWANIS CLUB OF DUNEDIN, INC., is part of an organization that began in 1915 with one club in Detroit, Michigan. Kiwanis International as it became known in 1916, by establishing a club in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, has its headquarters in Indianapolis, Indiana and now has over 13,000 clubs with more than 600,000 Kiwanis-family members in 96 countries.
In a typical year, Kiwanis clubs invest more than 6 million man-hours and 100 million U. S. dollars in communities around the world. Through these efforts, Kiwanis members are truly “Serving the Children of the World” and leaving a lasting impression on future generations.
The full and real history of THE KIWANIS CLUB OF DUNEDIN, INC., can never be reduced to words on paper. The real history of the club is written in the hearts and lives of the members and their committees.
We continue to support Dunedin and surrounding communities through donation, fundraising activities, and especially the efforts of our members who work together for the betterment of our community.
Some of the sponsored activities and accomplishments of THE KIWANIS CLUB OF DUNEDIN, INC., are as follows:
CHARITABLE FUNDRAISING EVENTS:
- Kiwanis Adventure Run: A 5k and a 5 mile run through Honeymoon State Park trails and beach.
- July 3rd/4th Kiwanis Midnight Run: A 1 mile run/walk, 5k, and a 10k run in the late evening of July 3rd, and early morning of July 4th on Dunedin Causeway.
- Kiwanis Talent Show: A talent show featuring youths from the Tampa Bay area.
- Kiwanis Pros & Joes Rib Fest: A BBQ rib cooking competition held in Edgewater Park.
- Kiwanis Pancake Festival at Dunedin Hog Hustle Run; A pancake, sausage, juice, etc., festival for the runners of the Dunedin Hog Hustle Run.
- Kiwanis Hickory Classic: A golf tournament using hickory golf clubs and balls, held at the Dunedin Golf Club, the original home of United States PGA.
SPONSORED YOUTH CIVIC ORGANIZATIONS AND LEADERSHIP RECOGNITION:
- Key Club: High School Civic Organization.
- Builders Club: Middle School Civic Organization.
- Rising Stars: Mental handicapped youth recreational sports teams.
- Scholarships: Multiple high school scholarships: (1)awarded to high school students with the best combination of grades and community service, and (2) awarded to in outstanding leadership and community service by Key Club members.
- Terrific Kids: A leadership recognition program in elementary schools.
- Bug Program: BUG, a/k/a “Bringing Up Grades” is a program designed to help bring up the grades of students at Calvin Hunsinger School, which is a K-12 center that serves exceptional education students who have sensory, emotional, or behavioral challenges.
PUBLIC FACILITIES CREATED IN TANDEM WITH THE CITY OF DUNEDIN
- Kiwanis Boundless Playground: A playground that accommodates physically handicapped children and/o their physically handicapped parents.
- Kiwanis Sprayground: A children’ water spraying-based playground.
- Kiwanis Fitzone: An outdoor fitness park for strength training and cardiovascular exercise.
- Builders Threadz: Supplying free school-appropriate clothing to needy students at Dunedin Middle School